Wednesday 26 February 2014

So You Want to Move to Israel?

When I told people that my husband and I, with our five kids in tow, were moving to Israel, they thought I was crazy. At some level, I wondered the same thing By Sarah Azulay

I remember the first time I publicly revealed my plans to make Aliyah to Israel. I had telephoned the president of our local Jewish day school to tell him that I could not serve on the board for the upcoming year because my husband and I, with five little ones in tow, were moving to the land of milk and honey. In the midst of the Intifada.

"You are moving to Israel," he said slowly, as if I must have undergone a lobotomy.
"Yes," I replied, feeling like I was having an outer body experience.
"And this is something you want to do," he said, indicating his further confirmation of my temporary mental imbalance.

At some level, I wondered the same thing. Even a cursory inventory of the muster it takes to move to Israel is enough to make the most desirous of Zionist dreamers wither in their tracks, and I have to admit, at the time I was no Zionist dreamer. Initially, we had simply wanted to live closer to my husband's family who all live in Israel. Read more at: http://www.aish.com/h/iid/48901372.html?s=mpw

No comments:

Post a Comment